Position Type: Paid Internship
Berggruen Institute Intern Job Posting Winter 2021
About the Berggruen Institute
The Berggruen Institute was established in 2010 to develop new ideas about how to reshape political and social institutions in the face of great transformations the world now faces. Our goal is to work across cultures, disciplines, and political boundaries by engaging with great thinkers in developing and promoting long-term answers to the biggest challenges of the 21st Century. No one person can accomplish this goal alone. It takes a team —people with different backgrounds, technical knowledge, and skills sets.
Cultivate future-oriented solutions.
Inquire with an open mind.
Build a collaborative environment.
Invest in people and relationships.
Respect the human dignity of all.
About the Internship
The Berggruen Institute is seeking a paid Intern to support the Future of Democracy (FOD) program. This is a paid internship. The start date of the internship is January 25, 2021. This position will report to the Associate Director, Future of Democracy.
The Future of Democracy program at the Berggruen Institute seeks to develop new institutions of governance designed for the current age. Democracies across the world are operating in a very different environment from the world in which they first emerged. The institutions in place need to be updated for the 21st century in order to preserve democratic values and the rule of law. The Future of Democracy addresses this by bringing together thoughtful leaders and new aged thinkers to re-imagine democracy for the new era.
The length of the Internship is six (6) weeks. This position will be working remotely to start; however, the successful candidate should be based close enough to downtown Los Angeles office for the anticipation of our return to the office in early 2021. Flexible scheduling with 15 hours per week.
• Conduct research and analysis on networks as societies, deliberative polling, civic engagement, youth engagement, climate change, economic recovery, and national service in the US and Europe
• Present research findings to program team
• Draft memos, executive summaries, and presentations to prepare program team for roundtable discussions with policymakers and experts
• Assist with development and execution of youth outreach strategy, particularly those engaged in climate issues
• Map out key youth climate organizations across the US and Europe
• Map out climate and national service proposals and key supporters
• Assist with Future of Democracy’s Youth Environment Service awareness and outreach campaign
Candidates should have the following characteristics:
• Able to use critical and creative thinking to solve problems, both large and small
• Ability to work independently in a work from home environment with minimal supervision
• Strong computer skills: Microsoft Office, Power Point, Teams etc.
• Strong interest in geopolitics, government, climate change, and civic engagement
Note: We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time. Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com and put “Intern” followed by “Future of Democracy Intern”. No phone calls please.
Berggruen Institute is a proud equal opportunities workplace. We firmly believe employing a diverse workforce is important regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Berggruen Institute is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.