About the Berggruen Institute
The Berggruen Institute was established in 2010 to develop new ideas about how to reshape political and social institutions in the face of great transformations the world now faces. Our goal is to work across cultures, disciplines and political boundaries and engage great thinkers in developing and promoting long-term answers to the biggest challenges of the 21st Century. No one person can accomplish this goal alone. It takes a team —people with different backgrounds, technical knowledge, and skills sets.
Cultivate future-oriented solutions.
Inquire with an open mind.
Build a collaborative environment.
Invest in people and relationships.
Respect the human dignity of all.
The Public Programming (PP) team works collaboratively with program and communications teams as a strategic thought partner and producer in creating and hosting events, initiatives, and activities that bring together bright and diverse minds; spark creativity and innovation; qualitatively enlarge the Institute’s network; and build lasting, meaningful connections. In addition to bringing to life our panel discussions, workshops, program/product launches, salons, and virtual gatherings, our signature events include our annual Berggruen Prize Award Ceremony Gala and our Understanding China Conference. The Berggruen Institute is looking for a curious, reliable, highly organized, and exceptionally detail-oriented individual who is passionate about creating engaging public events and initiatives to join its Public Programming Team.
The Public Programming Coordinator will support the planning, coordination, and execution of the Institute’s public programs, initiatives, events, and activities from start to finish. Working closely with the Associate Director of Public Programming and the Public Programming team, the PP coordinator will assist on all aspects of event production and management as well as maintain and contribute to enhancing department policies, processes, and practices. The PP coordinator will also be responsible for capturing and analyzing event engagement analytics and managing all department assets (physical and digital).
- Assist with the planning, coordinating, and executing of online and in-person events. Tasks include, but are not limited to, creating an event webpage; corresponding with event principals; sending invitations; managing RSVPs; addressing AV/lighting needs; procuring event equipment/rentals; arranging furniture; hiring catering and security; obtaining parking and other event permits; printing and posting signage; greeting and checking-in guests; note-taking; etc.
- Draft, design, and proofread/review invitations, event scenarios, event / meeting packets, department materials, and other event materials.
- Book venues, entertainers, photographers, and event production teams both local, national and international.
- Manage vendor relations, negotiating contracts, maintaining vendor files, researching new opportunities, and coordinating vendor activities.
- Make travel arrangements and detailed travel / event itineraries for event principals and PP team.
- Research, design, and source branded products and other promotional material and gifts.
- Serve as liaison between event participant and PP team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Add and maintain the Institute’s contact database (Salesforce), which includes data entry, formatting spreadsheets, generating reports, and creating contact lists.
- Update and maintain public programming calendar, event folder, inventory of event equipment and branded goods, and list of vendors.
- Capture and analyze event engagement analytics gathered from event platforms.
- Conduct pre-and post-event evaluations, reporting on outcomes.
- File department expenses, reconcile event receipts, and ensure invoices are serviced.
- Contribute to the development of public programming ideas, events, and operations.
- Research best practices for in-person, virtual, and hybrid events.
- Assists with scheduling meetings and note-taking.
- Serve as liaison between PP team and Communications team.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- 3 to 4 years of related work experience as an event coordinator for large, high-profiled events.
- Familiar with Salesforce, CVENT, and Constant Contact (or email marketing platform).
- Handles matters expeditiously and proactively, following through on projects to successful completion.
- Excellent time management with the ability to multitask, adjust priorities as necessary, and meet deadlines in fast pace environment.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Self-starter who is a proven team player with a positive attitude and growth mindset.
- Ability to adapt to challenges and opportunities with a solution-oriented approach.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, Zoom, Google Docs with working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Acrobat, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop) and social media platforms
- Ability to move, lift, carry, push, and pull objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance. Able to stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time.
- Interest in international affairs and governance is a plus.
- Due to COVID-19, our staff is currently working remote; however, the successful candidate should be based close enough to downtown Los Angeles for when our team returns to the office.
- This is a full-time, non-exempt position based in Los Angeles with possible travel to Europe and China for work related events (candidates must be able to travel inside and outside the United States, the European Union, and China).
- Availability to work evening and weekend hours as needed is required. Overtime pay will be provided.
- We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time. Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
What We Offer:
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including exceptional 401k, paid time off, and more.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Berggruen Institute is a proud equal opportunities workplace. We firmly believe employing a diverse workforce is important regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law. Berggruen Institute is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.