What We Do:
Established in December 2018, the Berggruen Research Center at Peking University (hereafter the Center) is a hub for East-West, cross-cultural, and interdisciplinary research and dialogue on transformations affecting humanity. Intellectual themes for researchers and visiting scholars are focused on frontier technologies and society, and issues involving digital governance and globalization. The Berggruen Institute has committed $25.5 million to establishing the Center at Peking University, which includes a fellowship program and houses program activities such as closed-door roundtables and symposia alongside a host of other public events.
The Berggruen Institute was established in 2010 and works across cultures, disciplines, and political boundaries, engaging leading thinkers to develop and promote long-term answers to the biggest challenges of the 21st Century. The Institute facilitates reports and activities under four main research themes: The Transformation of the Human, The Future of Capitalism, The Future of Governance, and Globalization.
About the Job:
The position is based at Peking University. It is a one-year contract and can be renewed upon review.
- Assist Center directors in designing and implementing research programs.
- You are encouraged to create new programs under the Center’s research themes.
- Write reports and essays related to the programs.
- Liaise with the Center’s fellows and fellows in the Berggruen Institute’s LA Office. Build a close community of fellows, and cultivate a channel for fellows to exchange ideas and find collaborative opportunities.
- Reach out to scholars in China and abroad whose research topics are of interest to the Center.
- Work with program coordinators to design and execute program-related events.
- Produce program summaries for the Center’s annual reports and other marketing materials.
- Hold a PhD in philosophy or another discipline relevant to the Center’s research focus of “frontier technology and philosophy.”
- Excellent bilingual (English, Chinese) written and verbal skills are essential.
- Tolerance for ambiguity and the ability to work in a fast-changing environment.
- Must be a team player, and recognize and respect the team’s support.
What the Center can offer:
- A competitive salary package depending on the applicant’s experience (about 250k RMB/year before tax, with 20 days annual leave).
- Opportunity to work closely with world-leading researchers and policy advisors in the field of artificial intelligence, biotechnology, and ethics, as well as on new governance strategies in the digital era.
- Opportunity to work closely with a dynamic team at a newly established Center engaged with not only academic communities but also industry stakeholders.
How to apply:
Please email resume and a cover letter to ChinaCenter@berggruen.org before August 20, 2020.
The Berggruen Research Center at Peking University is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We firmly believe employing a diverse workforce is important regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.