About Noema Magazine:
Noema is a magazine exploring the transformations sweeping our world. We publish essays, interviews, reportage, videos and art on the overlapping realms of philosophy, governance, geopolitics, economics, technology and culture. In doing so, our unique approach is to get out of the usual lanes and cross disciplines, social silos and cultural boundaries. From artificial intelligence and the climate crisis to the future of democracy and capitalism, Noema Magazine seeks a deeper understanding of the most pressing challenges of the 21st century.
In ancient Greek, noēma means “thinking” or the “object of thought.” And that is our intention: to delve deeply into the critical issues transforming the world today, at length and with historical context, in order to illuminate new pathways of thought in a way not possible through the immediacy of daily media. In this era of accelerated social change, there is a dire need for new ideas and paradigms to frame the world we are moving into.
Published online and in print by the Berggruen Institute, Noema grew out of a previous publication called The WorldPost, which was first a partnership with HuffPost and later with The Washington Post. Noema publishes thoughtful, rigorous, adventurous pieces by voices from both inside and outside the institute. While committed to using journalism to help build a more sustainable and equitable world, we do not promote any particular set of national, economic or partisan interests.
This is a full-time position with competitive benefits and salary. Our main office is in the historic Bradbury building in downtown Los Angeles. We also have a small satellite office in Brooklyn, NY and will consider remote workers.
• Report to the executive editor and work with the editorial team on digital and print content
• Commission primarily essays and longform features — but also interviews, reportage and film — on policy/governance, philosophy, economics, technology, geopolitics and culture
• Edit pieces from start to finish, including developmental editing, backfielding (sometimes significantly reworking or asking for rewrites or additions), copy editing and sometimes fact-checking
• Optional: Time permitting, occasionally write reported features and essays, and conduct interviews
• Assign and stay on track of deadlines
• Write sharp heds and deks
• Work with the art director and artists on original artwork for each piece
• Strategize with the audience growth editor on how best to promote each piece
• Load pieces into our CMS and publish within the CMS
• Find and build relationships with new writers
• Assist with varied operational tasks as necessary
• 5 or more years of experience as an editor
• Fluency in digital media
• Knowledge of the magazine’s broad editorial priorities
• Strong writing and communications skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Bachelor’s degree
• Experience in print media
• Fluency in foreign languages
• Expertise in one or more editorial interest areas
• Advanced degree(s)
Perks and Benefits:
• Sick leave, holiday, vacation and other paid time off
• Medical, dental, vision, and outstanding 401k
• Employee phone reimbursement
• Professional Development opportunities
• Employee Assistance Program that can help with wellness and daily living as well as parenting, financial and legal advice from specialized professionals
Please send a resume and cover letter, combined as one document, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Noema Magazine is a proud equal opportunities workplace. We firmly believe employing a diverse workforce is important regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Noema Magazine is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.