About the Berggruen Institute
The Berggruen Institute was established in 2010 to develop new ideas about how to reshape political and social institutions in the face of great transformations the world now faces. Our goal is to work across cultures, disciplines and political boundaries and engage great thinkers in developing and promoting long-term answers to the biggest challenges of the 21st Century. No one person can accomplish this goal alone. It takes a team —people with different backgrounds, technical knowledge, and skills sets.
Cultivate future-oriented solutions.
Inquire with an open mind.
Build a collaborative environment.
Invest in people and relationships.
Respect the human dignity of all.
As Instructional Designer, you will collaborate with ToftH Leadership, current researchers and Subject Matter Experts to design and develop learning experiences for ToftH’s future education initiative. You will identify the best approach and propose solutions that can scale the ToftH curriculum and expand our audiences. You will be motivated to work independently with demonstrated organizational and communication skills. You will be comfortable working towards deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment that demands flexibility, high quality, and creativity. You will collaborate across the ToftH team and with cross-functional stakeholders to ensure the greatest potential impact for student cohorts.
This is a full-time position and will be remote until space is found, then individual is expected to be in the office 3-4x per week in Oakland or Berkeley.
- Under the direction of ToftH leadership and the ToftH Curriculum Development Taskforce, establish excellent working relationships with subject matter experts for all ToftH content development
- Summarize complex, original content provided by the committee and subject matter experts to match defined scope and sequence
- Define content curation process
- Ensure the quality of the resources used translate written materials as determined by curriculum committee into compelling and engaging virtual learning experiences
- Organize and manage the workflow for establishing inaugural curriculum
- Prioritize tasks, manage timelines and execute projects related to curriculum with limited supervision and according to established deadlines
- Identify issues as they arise, differentiating solutions and risk by strategy
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
- 3 years of instructional design, eLearning and project management experience in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects, deliverables and competing priorities with a proven record of success
- Skilled in the use of a variety of platforms for organizing workflow
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult learn theory standard methodologies and experience designing innovative content on various tools hosted on multiple platforms
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple partners, managing input while owning and driving timelines forward
- Ability to translate feedback into improvements for both content and process
- Passionate about the learner experience and how to make it better; open to feedback and continual improvement of self and the team
- Comfort with ambiguity, philosophy, arts and technology and welcoming to the challenge of working in an undefined field
- Proven success in the ability to work toward a vision as strategies and tactics evolve quickly
- Experience with visual design and assessment design
- Visual/graphic design skills and comfort turning source content into interactive, visually appealing, and engaging multimedia learning
- Experience with mobile learning, gamification, and other interactive learning methodologies
- Experience in non-profit environment
Perks and Benefits:
- Work remotely during COVID-19
- Sick leave, holiday, vacation and other paid time off
- Medical, dental, vision, and outstanding 401k
- Employee phone reimbursement
- Professional Development opportunities
- Free EAP program (Employee Assistance Program) that can help with wellness and daily living, parenting, financial and legal advice from a specialized professional
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Berggruen Institute is a proud equal opportunities workplace. We firmly believe employing a diverse workforce is important regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law. Berggruen Institute is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.