What We Do:
The Berggruen Institute was established in 2010 and works across cultures, disciplines, and political boundaries, engaging leading thinkers to develop and promote long-term answers to the biggest challenges of the 21st Century. The Institute hosts reports and activities within four main research themes: The Transformation of the Human, The Future of Capitalism, The Future of Governance, and Globalization.
The Berggruen China Center is a hub for East-West, cross-cultural, and interdisciplinary research and dialogue on transformations affecting humanity. Intellectual themes for researchers and visiting scholars are focused on frontier technologies and society, issues involving the digital future and globalization. The Berggruen Institute has committed $25.5 million to establishing the Berggruen Research Center at Peking University, which includes a fellowship program and houses program activities such as closed-door roundtables and symposia alongside a host of other public events.
About the Job:
You will be part of the China Center programs team, coordinating projects related to “AI Ethics” and “The Digital Future and Globalization”. We hope you will continue to expand your skill set while working with us and become an expert in the field. You will be working in tandem with another program coordinator, and you will report directly to the Chief Operations Officer. We are looking for someone with initiative who is also a team player and possesses a high degree of professionalism.
The position is based in Beijing.
- Take the lead on projects related to “AI Ethics” and “The Digital Future and Globalization”. Liaise with relevant stakeholders including academics, policy advisors, and industry researchers.
- Liaise with the Center’s fellows and fellows in the LA Headquarters who work on relevant topics. Call for regular gatherings of fellows to share research plans and progress. Provide regular briefing papers on recent international developments on relevant topics.
- Organize events related to the programs. Be responsible in designing topics and discussion formats as well as in all logistical arrangements, in collaboration with fellows and the Office Manager. Keep the events record updated.
- Take the lead on event summary production, in collaboration with the Chinese Content Officer and the English Editor in LA.
- Produce program summaries for the Center’s annual reports and other marketing materials.
- Attend events organized by partner organizations related to the programs.
- Take the lead on the Center’s database management.
- Take the lead on the Center’s Weibo strategies, in collaboration with the Chinese Content Officer.
- Experience in a role that required rigorous analytical problem solving and complex stakeholder management.
- Good knowledge of the development of “AI Ethics” and “The Digital Future and Globalization” in China, and awareness of global views on these topics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- At least two years work experience in related fields.
- Ability to speak and write in English and Chinese fluently and idiomatically.
- Tolerance for ambiguity and ability to work in a fast-changing environment.
- Master’s degree in a related field or in communications is a bonus.
What the Center can offer:
- A competitive salary package depending on the applicant’s experience.
- Opportunity to work closely with world leading researchers and policy advisors in the field of artificial intelligence, biotechnology, and ethics, as well as on new governance strategies in the digital era.
- Opportunity to work closely with a dynamic team at a newly established Center engaged with not only academic communities but also industry stake holders.
How to apply:
Please email resume and a cover letter to ChinaCenter@berggruen.org before September 1, 2019.
The Berggruen Institute is proud to be an equal opportunities workplace. We firmly believe employing a diverse workforce is important regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.